Tuesday 8 October 2013

California dreamin' just got real!

I haven't updated in a while, thinking I didn't have much to write about, as my time has been full of homework. But actually this post is going to be kind of long as I now realise I've done quite a lot. The first kind of interesting thing I did since my last post was go to the Cheesecake Factory a week last Thursday with friends for someone's birthday. This was good American food.
Last Saturday I went downtown with Steph, Sera and Sara. We went to a Spanish restaurant, Sevilla. The food was really good, and having a Spanish friend there made it even better, as she knew what to order! We walked around downtown, and it was nice to finally see some tall buildings! I now actually feel like I've seen Long Beach, and not just the area around campus :)

Downtown Long Beach:
Sevilla:
Downtown at night:

We then went to see CSULB's Ice Hockey team play against San Diego State. We lost but it was still a lot of fun as it was the first time I'd seen an ice hockey game. It was cool to get into the school spirit and it made me excited for the basketball season to start.

Ice Hockey:

This week my friend Meghan came to visit which was exciting. We both do American Studies back home so she is at university in the states right now too. When she arrived on Thursday I took her for lunch, then showed her around CSULB's campus and took her to 2nd street where there's a lot of cool places to see, like the sweet shop Powell's (where we dared to buy bacon flavoured soda). We walked down to the beach and then had dinner at a restaurant called Simmzy's. It was great to catch up after 3 months! It didn't feel like it had been that long at all! Its quite ironic that we can't arrange to see each other in England but in the US its no problem at all haha!

My new hat, prepared for my future trip to Utah:

Simmzy's, pretty lights:

Thursday evening we had a Karaoke night at mine so some friends came over from the other dorms to join us. After literally being dragged off the sofa to sing, I actually quite enjoyed it and ended up doing more than one song with friends. This was very new to me haha. It's surprising how confident people here are to just get up and sing in front of a crowd of people. Back home in the UK no one would really do karaoke sober!

On Friday we went to Huntington Beach, which I hadn't seen yet so I was excited to go! It was also really nice to get out after the last couple of weeks which have been jampacked with homework. I loved it! I felt like I was living the California dream; the beach, the surfers, the sun. We walked around, went in a couple of coffee shops, paddled in the sea and took lots of photos. We then went to dinner with some other friends to the Cheesecake Factory, again!

Huntington flags:
The beach:
Posters:
Me on the beach:
Surf:
The beach again:
A surfer:
Me and Meg:
Surf shop:
Huntington Pier and surfer:
We heart Cali:

On Saturday, before Meg had to fly back to Utah, me and Matt showed her Cha for Tea and then Signal Hill, which I really wanted to show her as you can pretty much see everything in the area, all the way to downtown LA and the Hollywood sign. Plus, I also hadn't been in the daytime yet so it was really cool for me to see everything and take some pictures. We hung out there for a while, watching the planes, catching up and teaching Matt some things about English culture! We then got lunch from a great sandwich place nearby, Rocco's deli, before taking Meg to the airport where we said goodbye, but hopefully not for long! I plan to visit Utah soon, and see her life in the states.

 On top of the world:
View of campus and the Walter pyramid:
Meg, some miners and me:
A pretty cool picture:

After we dropped Meg off at the airport, we went to the boathouse, which was so pretty. It's weekends like this one when it hits me where I am and how much I appreciate being here. It kind of overwhelms me! I still love the weather, I think I always will love it and the lifestyle that comes with it! Although 7 weeks without rain is starting to feel a bit weird, 32C in October, is this real life?

Stupid seagull trying to steal my sandwich:

I've had a great couple of weeks, this past weekend being a highlight with Meghan's visit. It was great to get out and see things; I hate being inside, I always want to be out and about having new experiences!

I can't believe that on Friday I will have been here for 2 months! Time flies when you're having fun! I've made some amazing friends and had many great experiences!  I should be going to Disneyland on Friday for the first time, which will be the perfect way to celebrate 2 months away from the UK!

I'm also starting to write a list of things I want to do while in the states, so I may post that up soon, so I can tick things off as I go :)

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of you and Meghan - America suits you!
    You look so cute in that red hat too!
    Haha, that seagull picture made me laugh out loud
    America is so pretty, getting a bit jealous of it -and all that gorg weather!
    Hope you keep having an amazing time, looking forward to your next blog :]
    Missing you loads, lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks nessa! :) Hope you're having fun in hull and enjoyed freshers week!
    I'll try to update again soonish!
    Hope you have a great third year!
    Missing you lots too xxx

    ReplyDelete